Pages

Thursday, March 10, 2011

Shifty Illusions...Where Extreme meets Art!!

Let's be honest. We all dream from a young age of being artistic...It's a talent we all want! But very few can put their ideas and dreams on paper let alone helmets and about anything else! Meet one of the very few that live that dream! Custom paintwork at it's best!

Brady Lambert of  Shifty Illusions

1-How did you get started with drawing/ painting? I've always been into art since I was a little kid. I got started painting helmets when the guy doing my stuff was a flake. I basically said I bet I can do this and here I am today!

2- How did you get involved with the Motorsports industry? I started racing Motocross when I was 12. Outside of that I've always been into dirt car racing. I had family that raced and it was always something that got my adrenaline flowing. Anything fast and on dirt is a good time to me.


3- Do you have formal art training? No that's one thing I've never had. Everything I've learned has been self taught for the most part. There is alot of trial and error going at it that way but that's part of the fun. Let's just say I've messed up alot of paint jobs along my way. Haha!!


4- You have done some amazing paint work. What was your most challenging  paint project so far? Thank you, That's a tough one! I'd probably have to say the goalie mask's have been the most challenging. They usually require a lot of detail, so they can be a pain. If not those it's the projects with tight deadlines those are never fun.


5- Everyone wants to know what happens if you make a mistake in the middle or worse near the end of a painting project? That's one thing that is good about custom work. It's very easy to cover up a mistake on a custom paint job. As long as it's nothing major it can be fixed pretty easy. Now if you have something go wrong with the clear or have major paint lift from taping, you are in trouble!

6- Do you have a most memorable project? Was there one project that stood out or meant something special to you for a particular reason? Ya that's a easy one for me. The most memorable projects for me have been the goalie masks I've done to raise money for JDRF. One of my clients and I would try to do a auction as much as we could with the teams he was playing for. It's always a good thing if you can help out kids or a good cause with your talents. Another project that stands out is the helmet I did for the son of Jeremy Carter(RIP) after he passed. I'm sure that's something he will hold on to forever to remember his dad by.


7-Tell us about your shop Shifty illusions... Basically I started painting lids in 02. It was a way for me to stay involved in the sports I loved. I've always been a fan of helmet art ever since I started racing mx. I was a big fan of Straight Edge's work as a kid. I always wanted to do it and one day I just went for it. Here I am today 9 years later still slinging paint. I run off the love for painting cause everyone knows I'm not making a killing at this stuff. It's all because I love painting and I love the sports I get to be involved with along the way. You can check out my work at Shiftyill.com or by searching for Shifty Illusions on Facebook.com 
 

8- What is the biggest goal you would like to accomplish? Main goal is turn this into a full time gig again. Right now I'm working full time and painting on the side. All it takes is that one big break or that one person that believes in you and can wear your stuff and help you out. I would also like to use what I do for a good cause and raise money for good charities.

9-What are some of the most recent projects you have been working on? Been doing some canvas work here and there. Now that the dirt car tracks are starting up I've been busy with their helmets. Could always use more though!

10-What is the craziest or weirdest thing you have painted? That would be toilet seats haha.

11-What advice would you give new artists. Never give up. Believe in yourself and just know you are going to mess up alot of things learning new tricks.

12- Where do you see yourself in 10 years? Hopefully doing this full time and enjoying life. This is my passion and what I live for. If it wasn't for that I would of quit along time ago trust me!

13 What's next for SI? Just keep painting everything I can get my hands on. Keep pushing forward trying to get people to take notice of my work!

14 Who are some of your favorite artists? Chris Woods is hands down the best helmet painter out there. His work is very clean. My buddy Kaib Knight is also a guy that blows me away. He is so talented it boggles my mind. I've also always been a fan of guys like Mike Metzger and OG Able.

15 Who are some extreme athletes you've done work for? I have done lids for Billy Walls, Myles Richmond, Scummy, Garrett Ahlf, Lance Coury, Jeff Griffin and Shane Trittler.

1 comment:

  1. So awesome B!!! You've come a long way! You are such an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete